What Recovery really means?
- Recovery is self-directed and empowering
- Recovery is holistic
- Recovery has cultural dimensions
- Recovery exists on a continuum of improved health and wellness
- Recovery emerges from HOPE and GRATITUDE
- Recovery involves a process of healing and self-definition
- Recovery involves addressing discrimination and transcending shame and stigma
- Recovery is supported by peers and allies
- Recovery involves (re)joining and (re)building a life in the community
- Recovery is a reality. It can, will, and does happen.
*Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, National Summit on Recovery Conference Report, 2005